What is Culinary Sciences?
Culinary Sciences refers to learning the art of preparing, cooking and presentation of cuisines from all around the globe. Commonly known as Chefs, the professionals of this field are also known as Culinary Artist who not only are expertise in cooking of food but posses thorough knowledge about the nutrition value of each of the ingredients that have been incorporated in the dish. The professionals undergoing academic learning in this field have knowledge of food or culinary science, its presentation, nutrition and diet. It’s all about learning the pre-preparation and post-preparation process involved in exclusive cooking so as to take the dish to the next level which can be termed as a signature dish of a Chef.
Career Scope after Degree in Culinary Sciences
With a major boost being given to domestic and international tourism, the hospitality industry is growing at a very fast pace. All the major tourist destinations such as France, Spain, USA, Canada, China, India, Singapore and others are witnessing 10-30% growth in number of tourists visiting every year. As a result there is an annual growth of 4% in number of hotels which means about 8000 new hotels are added every year. Food being the most important and integral part of the hospitality industry, there is an annual addition of 40,000 Chef jobs every year. As a culinary expert, you will have ample number of job opportunities all around the world. India being one of the major tourist destinations in Asia, the hospitality industry is growing at a rate of 7% which will add 7000 new Chef jobs.
- Industry Oriented Curriculum Comparable with World’s Top Universities
- Flexible Choice Based Credit System (FCBCS)
- Project Based & Experiential Learning
- More Than 70 Open Electives To Pursue Inner Delight
- Advanced Technologies & Integration For Premium Placements
- Chandigarh University Scholarship Admission Test (CU-SAT)
- Merit Based Scholarships For Academic Session
- Scholarship Scheme For Wards Of Defence Personnel Armed Forces Educational Welfare Scheme (Afews)
- Sports Based Scholarships/Freeships
- Other Important Scholarship Schemes
Eligibility & Fee Details
Eligibility - 10+2 or its equivalent examination in any Stream conducted by a recognized Board/ University/ Council.
|Semester Fee||95000/- INR|
|PARAMETERS||CUSAT SCHOLARSHIP AMOUNT||AMOUNT TO PAY AFTER CUSAT SCHOLARSHIP|
|100% of semester fees
Top 1% students on the basis of merit
|50% of semester fees
Next 2% students on the basis of merit
|47500/- INR||47500/- INR|
|25% of semester fees
Next 3% students on the basis of merit
|23750/- INR||71250/- INR|
|10% of semester fees
Next 4% students on the basis of merit
|9500/- INR||85500/- INR|
* The students who will score 60% or more marks in CU-SAT will be offered at least 5% scholarship in the course fee.
|OTHER FEE DETAILS||AMOUNT|
|Refundable Security (One Time)||2000/- INR|
|Fee Regular Exam (Sem Wise)||1500/- INR|
|Alumni Fee||To be charged in the pass out year|
|Participation in Red Cross||Optional|
What do we offer in Liberal Studies?
B.Sc. in Culinary Sciences
About B.Sc. Culinary Sciences
The three year Under-Graduate program B.Sc. Culinary Sciences program is a comprehensive program which introduces the students with every aspect of the hospitality industry. The course curriculum of B.Sc. Culinary Sciences taught at Chandigarh University takes you through process of becoming a top notch Culinary Experts which is sought after by top hotel chains in India and Abroad. Right from basics of kitchen operations to budgeting, planning, catering, food preparation & specialization, hygiene, nutrition and dietician, specialized cooking of Indian and International cuisines, bakery & confectionary and management are covered semester wise during the course duration.
Following are the specializations that you could opt for while pursing an academic degree in Culinary Sciences:
- Saucier or Sauce-Chef
- Poissonnier Chef
- Rotisseur Exper
- Grillardin or Grilling Expert
- Friturier or Frying Food Chef
- Entremetier or Legumier Chef or Vegetable Chef
- Tournant Chef
- Garde Manger or Pantry Chef
- Patissier or Pastry Chef
- Desert Chef
Why to study Culinary Sciences at Chandigarh University?
- Flexible Choice Based Academic Model with wide choice of Elective subjects to choose from that can be tailored to the specific interests and needs of the student.
- Emphasis on Hands-on Practical Training
- State-of-Art Infrastructure based on the pattern of Five Star Hotel kitchens
- Regular Visits to Five Star Hotel to enhance Experiential Learning
- Academic Training and Learning under renowned chefs from Five Star Hotels
- Industry tie-ups and certifications from Inter-Continental Group of Hotels (IHG) and Taj Group of Hotels
- Learn from renowned and Celebrity Chefs of India and Foreign Countries
- Academic Syllabus designed as per the pattern approved by International Association of Culinary Professionals
- Choice to Study Abroad under Semester Aboard in 230+ top notch International Universities of USA, Canada, Australia, UK & 20 other countries
- Entrepreneurship training module as an integral part of the academic set-up